Simplify everything for less than the cost of a single workstation!
With a long established history in organ restoration and manufacturing, South Island Organ Company also had a long established history of buying new computers to solve problems. This is often a key indicator that things aren't right.
Is a new computer really going to solve the problem?
Hot Source IT were approached to give initial advice on a very expensive workstation quoted by another provider that was supposed to resolve their speed issues. The immediate indicator here that problems aren't being addressed: High-end workstations aren't necessary to run Microsoft Office!
What other solutions are there? We've always added a new computer to solve these problems.
Getting shiny new equipment is always nice, but it may not be the best solution. Especially if businesses do not know the options available to them. Here's where we came in. Offering alternative solutions.
- Forget the $5000 "Office workstation" and instead purchase a more realistic new business workstation. That keeps the office staff happy because they still get something shiny and new running Windows 7.
- You don't have a server? Here's one! The installation of a Windows Small Business Server was a critically important decision. Installation complete = all problems solved.
- Centralise all your data into the server so now all staff and computers throughout the company (and across the planet) can work together.
- Stop doing 5 separate backups a day on each computer and let your server do this. You have better things to do.
- Now that you've got a real server, you can also have a real website that's easy to update.
Over a weekend, everything was complete and old tired workstations were given a new lease on life. Why? Because technology should be simple and business owners have better things to do than wait on slow computers that a probably doing more than they were designed to do.
By installing a Small Business Server we were able to offload all the extra work that the once "slow" computers were doing. It's like cleaning out a teenager's bedroom - all of a sudden there's room to move and breathe.
Their server now performs a lot of tasks that were once considered by other providers impossible. "That old database program won't work on Windows Vista or 7" they said - "That sounds like a challenge to me" Of course your old programs will work with new Windows versions. Hotsource has a long history of making things work. It's all about understanding the new and old stuff. When you understand that, you can make them work together. And of course we did! Now all applications run on all the computers - saving hours of time for the staff not needing to queue-up to use an application on one computer because it wont run on another.
The director of the company loves his high-end mobile phone. But hated the way it wouldn't send an email if he wasn't connected to the Telecom network. A big concern considering many Pipe Organs are not in New Zealand. Immediately following the installation, not only the computers working as they should - "simply working" so too was the director's mobile phone. Now he can send and receive without thinking - no more duplicate emails. Email can be responded to immediately instead on the next time he is back in the Telecom network.
A word from SIOC
HotSource IT helped us step into the future, and has greatly improved our administrative capabilities resulting in cost effective work habits and improve brand awareness.
South Island Organ Company Website